Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:05:04 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Patch 0007  Codepage enahancements

On 2011-08-12 23:48, jfoug wrote:
> I have added a new patch (0007) to the wiki page. This patch adds numerous
> new code page encodings, into the Unicode.c file, and into rules.

Besides a couple of bugfixes in patches 0008 & 0009, I have also
uploaded a patch (0010) that mitigates most of the performance drop in
NT format when using --encoding=<cp> (where <cp> is a codepage like
cp1252, not UTF-8).

The previous code was "strlen(key), convert whole key, put into buffer"
in three separate steps. The new code is just "put into buffer,
converting on the fly" like we do with UTF-8. My speed went from some
15500K to over 26000K (while default "raw" mode is around 27000K)

Now, running --enc=<cp> is a bit faster than --enc=utf8, which is
expected as UTF-8 is more complex.

magnum