Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 19:40:03 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: User-defined character class  (was: "valid character" class)

On 2011-08-10 05:27, Solar Designer wrote:
>> Do you mean user-defined as in john.conf, so eg. a ?2 class would
>> correspond to characters defined in some section in the config file?
>
> Yes.  Maybe even right in the rule, although then we'd want to split
> processing of each rule into two parts (some of it could be precomputed).

It's a cool idea. If going for the first alternative, would this be fine
for john.conf?

# A user defined character class is named with a
# single digit, ie. 0..9
[UserClasses]
0 = áóúéíý
1 = €£$€¥
7 = [0-9a-fA-F]

[List.Rules.Example]
%4?7Ap"[\\0]x"

Naturally, ?7 would match any of 0123456789abcdefABCDEF. The brackets
are not really needed for parsing but it may be more logical to the user
if it's close to the rules pp syntax.

Should the rules engine 'die' if an undefined class is used? I think so.

I'm not sure that example rule would do exactly what I intended, lol

magnum