Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 17:27:49 -0400
From: "Robert Harris" <rs904c@...scape.net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE:    [john-users] custom-builds of Windows OMP builds, finally

Jim,

Sorry for the late response, I just reviewed this month's emails, and
noticed this email went without a reply to you. (Perhaps because you didn't
address it to me.)

The JtR make file does not need to be updated to build Windows (cygwin)
versions with OMP.  No libraries either.

Until recently, cygwin didn't have support for a recent version of gcc that
supported OMP.
If you've had cygwin installed for a while there are complicated
instructions on how to update it for this support.
Located at
http://old.nabble.com/NEW%3A-mingw-pthreads-20110507-1-td31755198.html#a3175
5198

However, it is much easier to just delete the whole cygwin directory and
install using the latest setup.  I had to get the Experimental (EXP) version
of gcc to get v4.5+, though.

For the rest of you following this, you'll know if you have OMP support for
gcc, if the following test program compiles and runs. Of course this applies
to cygwin as well as any other OS compile.

#include <omp.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
int main (int argc, char *argv[]) {
  int th_id, nthreads;
  #pragma omp parallel private(th_id)
  {
    th_id = omp_get_thread_num();
    printf("Hello Jim, Robert, and Solar from thread %d\n", th_id);
    #pragma omp barrier
    if ( th_id == 0 ) {
      nthreads = omp_get_num_threads();
      printf("There are %d threads\n",nthreads);
    }
  }
  return EXIT_SUCCESS;

compile with: gcc -fopenmp hello.c -o hello

-Robert Harris from VA