Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 22:06:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: issues with 1.7.8-jumbo-5

Jim, magnum -

I am aware of two not fully investigated issues so far:

1. On a linux-x86-64 build, I am getting a segfault when using --stdin
or --pipe along with a large NT hash file.  With a 100k entry file, the
segfault occurs before the very last password would be cracked.  With a
1M entry file, it appears to occur a bit sooner (occurs instantly when I
already have 900k+ of cracked hashes in john.pot).  Need to similarly
test -jumbo-4 to see if it's a new bug...

2. --encoding=iso-8859-1 doesn't appear to recognize the 8-bit letters
for me.  Specifically, when run on a Russian word in koi8-r, it doesn't
treat it as a word (most rules reject it), unlike when I run
--encoding=koi8-r, which does the right thing.  Due to similarities
between these two encodings (as far as the rules are concerned), I
expected to get similar results for them - but this is not the case.

Unfortunately, I don't have much/any time to look into these further,
because I need to proceed with my other changes for a contest edition of
John the Ripper.

Alexander