Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 03:53:18 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Plugin formats "released"

On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 01:42:37AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> On 2011-07-23 23:15, Solar Designer wrote:
> >I did not understand the rationale behind some of:
> >
> ># Should work on Solaris and gmake
> >PLUGFORMATS_SRCS: sh =if [ -f *_plug.c ]; then ls *_plug.c; fi
> >PLUGFORMATS_SRCS += $(shell ls *_plug.c)
> >PLUGFORMATS_OBJS = $(PLUGFORMATS_SRCS:.c=.o)
>
> The comment should better have been "DOES work on Solaris make and
> gmake". The first line is a no-op (or empty result or whatever) on gmake
> but it does make this work on Solaris make!

Oh, but it looks really weird to me.  "-f" is meant to accept one
argument, but we're giving it the result of wildcard expansion, no?
And why do we use "ls" where I think "echo" would be sufficient?

I'd appreciate a more obviously correct implementation, where we would
know why exactly it works. ;-)

> >So I simplified it to:
> >
> ># Requires GNU make (under Solaris, use "gmake")
> >PLUGFORMATS_SRCS = $(wildcard *_plug.c)
> >PLUGFORMATS_OBJS = $(PLUGFORMATS_SRCS:.c=.o)
>
> You reverted it to my first version that really requires gmake. Jim came
> up with the Solaris-compatible way and tested it.

Thanks for explaining this.  At this point, I am not sure which one is a
better choice for -jumbo-4.  One explicitly requires gmake, the other is
weird and it might break elsewhere, maybe even with gmake.

As to the sed's, can one of you actually test them on Solaris, please?

Alexander