Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 06:48:35 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Error with john-1.7.7-jumbo6-omp-des-7 compiling on multiple OSes

Robert -

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 10:03:07PM -0400, Robert Harris wrote:
> I get the following error compiling  john-1.7.7-jumbo6-omp-des-7  on
> multiple OSes,  what might be the solution?

Use newer gcc (4.4 or newer I think), or don't apply the patch.

> DES_bs.c:153: error: invalid type for iteration variable `tp'
> DES_bs.c:153: warning: iteration variable `tp' is unsigned

OpenMP 2.5, supported starting with gcc 4.2, supports only signed int
for loop iteration variables (for loops to be parallelized).

This has been relaxed to support unsigned int and pointers as well in
OpenMP 3.0, which I think is supported starting with gcc 4.4.

Maybe my code needs to be re-arranged to fit OpenMP 2.5, especially
because this decent alternative compiler only supports 2.5 so far:

http://www.pathscale.com/ekopath4-open-source-announcement

Alexander