Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 01:05:59 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Johnny GUI interactive status from John

Am 04.07.2011 00:21, schrieb Aleksey Cherepanov:

> I tried 'kill -s 1 <pid_of_john_instance>' and 'kill -s SIGHUP <pid>' on
> my Debian in chroot under Android with John 1.7.7 from Debian and both
> commands did not force John to show status.

the kill command doesn't force a running john session to report
it's current status.
It just forces the process to update john.pot as well as the
corresponding .rec and .log files - which normally would
be updated every 10 minutes (unless specified otherwise
using the Save = option in john.conf).

john --show and john uses john.pot to report which passwords
have been cracked.
john --status uses the information in the .rec file to report
the status.

So the kill -s 1 (under Unix/POSIX) is a method to make sure
john --status will  show information which is up to date and not
up to 10 minutes old.

Frank