Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 00:04:57 +0200
From: Łukasz Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Lukas's Status Report - #7 of 15

2011/6/30 JimF <jfoug@....net>:
> [...]
> (actually, to the 10239 iterations of the very inside 'loop'.   This should
> gain 99.99% of the 'possible' gain, but this 'intrusion' and change to get
> the SSE2 is as trivial as I can get it.   However, do to differences between
> the SSE and other runs (like 'generic' or OMP), I will likely create a
> special pbkdf2 function, that is called one time to perform work on all
> items at once (after loading them), while the existing pbkdf2 works on one
> item at a time (for allowing multi-threading to work).
>
> To show what was done (you can also look at the code I posted earlier today,
> and see the memcpy's to see what is happening).
>
>  prepare SSE variables
>  for (loop=1; loop < 10240; ++loop) {
>    restore_ipad_state
>    SSE_SHA1 tmp_hash -> tmp_hash
>    restore_opad_stat
>    SSE_SHA1 tmp_hash -> tmp_hash
>    xor results
>  }
>
> I am wondering if for the GPU code, this might also be the 'right' place to
> send the data over to the multiple GPU's to do their magic.  I am not sure
> exactly how the 'best' way to integrate into john, but remember, this 1 loop
> is 99.99% of the work being done.  The other IMHO is simply setup code for
> this loop.  Even if you speed up this loop 100x, then there is still only 1%
> of the time in the entire rest of the 'setup' code.  That is why I made a
> choice to ONLY optimize this inner loop, and pretty much ignore the rest.
> The other other optimization I can see (other than pinhole speedup's), is
> that the NTLM only needs to be performed if a new password is loaded.  The
> way john works, is it loads X number of passwords, then sets a salt, calls
> crypt_all, checks for hits, then sets the next salt, calls crypt_all,
> checks, etc, etc, until all salts have been run.  Thus, if there are many
> salts, the NTLM hash (the first MD4 of the unicode password), only needs to
> be done when new password(s) is(are) loaded.
>
> Hopefully, this is a little more information for you, and will allow you to
> get a better feel for just what is happening under the hood of mscash2.
>
> I do hope to get the low down on how to get SSE SHA1 working for
> multi-buffer encryptions.  Once I get that, it should not be long, until I
> have a faster working cash2 format, which has been trimmed down to about 600
> lines (which about only 150 are the 'core' encryption stuff).  I really did
> not plan on making any announcement about the code changes, until I was done
> with the format (generic, OMP and SSE), but since you posted that you may be
> starting on GPU code, I wanted to make sure it was known that we have a much
> more easy to follow format, even if only working for generic/omp.
>
> Jim.
>

> Hopefully, this is a little more information for you, and will allow you to
> get a better feel for just what is happening under the hood of mscash2.

Thanks Jim for an exhaustive explaination, I think it's enough to me
to do implement that properly, and it possibly will save me lot of
time.

> I am wondering if for the GPU code, this might also be the 'right' place to
> send the data over to the multiple GPU's to do their magic.  I am not sure
> exactly how the 'best' way to integrate into john, but remember, this 1 loop
> is 99.99% of the work being done.

Besides pure sha256cuda patch all of my previous patches were doing
everything on gpu. Maybe it's wasn't a good approach, and was going to
check that and forgot. Now I'll try do only this "real slow" part on
gpu, and the rest on cpu, hopefully it will be faster that way.

Lukas