Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:46:51 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: 1.7.8.Jumbo-1   Was: [john-users] John the Ripper 1.7.8: DES speedup

For Jumbo-1, I would like to add in code, into Makefile, and into john.c
(and remove some patch code from hmail/sybase), which allows a simple
commenting out of a few lines in makefile, to turn off building of
hmail/sybase, and turns of building of sha/rar/pdf code.

I have had headache from the day that 1.7.7-J6 was released.  I simple and
easy patch can get those formats built into john easily, while at the same
time making it easy for systems which are not properly capable of building,
or of linking, or where they build and link but core.  I have seen all 3 of
those types of systems.  I would be surprised if there are not others out
there who also have had issues.   Having a simple mechanism where those
formats can easily be shut off on these type systems would certainly be
helpful for users.

I have code changes which do all of this (or most, I may have to tweak
Makefile a little more).  It may be a little late in the game to get it into
1.7.8-J1, since the 1.7.8 sort of snuck up and surprised me a little, and I
am not at the machine where I have all of the most recent make changes.

Alex, what are your plans for J1?  Is J1 going to be just a simple port of
J6, and then we get the recent patches in (and this request), into a quick
J2 follow up?  Or do we try to get these recent changes into a port of the
J6 code?

Jim.