Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:33:06 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Either my test script is b0rken or BF has an 8-bit
 bug

On 2011-06-20 05:29, Solar Designer wrote:
> What a mess.

Yes, too bad there was the crypt_blowfish side of it :-/

We have found and fixed hordes of bugs with the test suite, but for some
reason the non-Unicode formats only used a 7-bit dictionary until now. I
had a bad feeling about that and, well, I was right.

FWIW with the bug fixed John passes all my tests for BF, with 1320
hashes that extensively use 8-bit characters and all lengths up to 72 -
using a wordlist that includes lots of overly long lines and really
nasty binary garbage data.

magnum