Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 23:56:21 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: C++ and Qt was choosen for JtR GUI

There were some questions about development of GUI for John. Solar
Designer managed me and Shinnok to talk on irc channel about upcoming
development. We have some decisions.

What GUI library (framework, toolkit) should be used?

This question has a good coverage on the mailing list. We stoped on Qt
for now.

What programming language should be used?

In my proposal i supposed to use C++ or Python. Then i supposed Lua
because it is small and then it is easy to distribute. Both Python and
Lua provide an ability to add scripting capabilities into GUI
easily. But both Python and Lua add some overhead that is not wanted. We
will not have overhead with C++ so we will use C++.

Scripting was discussed near with language selection. Scripting was not
considered as a highly desired feature because things that could be done
with GUI scripting probably should be implemented in John itself or as a
separate CLI utilities to provide all users with this features
easily. So i understood the key idea that GUI should be just GUI and
should not be a super tool that can do everything itself. So now we will
use C++ and will not have scripting capabilities. But if we will decide
to add scripting into GUI somewhen in the future then we could use
qtscript.

Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov