Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:27:06 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: add support for cracking RAR archive passwords [GSoC
 first cut]

On 2011-06-14 18:21, Ɓukasz Odzioba wrote:
>   It's clear to me right now. Really thanks for an exhaustive answer!
> I'll adapt this knowledge to my patches.

Just remember that after truncating, it's imperative that get_key() will
return a plaintext truncated exactly like the one that was sent to
hashing. So eg. if using a saved_plain variable, that one must be
truncated too. Otherwise we get bugs very hard to notice! Been there,
done that, got the t-shirt...

Like Jim said, John will truncate for us at the length indicated by the
format struct. But formats that can convert from UTF-8 are trickier:
There *may* be three times as many octets of input as there are
characters of output. Therefore, we can't rely on John truncating for us
but must multiply PLAINTEXT_LENGTH by 3 and truncate ourselves at the
target encoding's (usually UTF-16) max length.

magnum