Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 10:30:42 -0700
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.7-jumbo-6

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:45 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> I've patched these by swapping the size and nmemb arguments to fread()
> and adding assert(count == 1); after each fread().  This is really
> dirty (assert() is meant for detecting program bugs, not merely an
> unreadable file), but drar.c already had some asserts like this.

Right, RAR patch is still in heavy debugging stage. At some point, my
plan is to remove all those asserts and add proper error handling.

> Dhiru - can you please test that drar in -RC4 still works?  (I did not.)

drar and john both work in RC4 for -hp mode files. drar supports -p
mode but john still doesn't support -p mode files. So I have made a
small patch for rar_fmt.c which warns the user about this (it doesn't
quit but warns the user).

> BTW, what does "d" in drar stand for?

The name "unrar" didn't fit (since such a utility already exists), so
I just picked letter "d". Suggestions for a new name are welcome.

--
Cheers,
Dhiru

View attachment "rar_fmt_add_pmode_warning.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (709 bytes)