Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 19:38:26 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ETA for incremental

On 2011-06-06 19:14, magnum wrote:
> On 2011-06-04 21:48, Solar Designer wrote:
>> Yes, I think muting until we reach 0.05% (20% precision) will be better,
>> although not basing this on the rounded for display progress percentage
>> would be better yet.
>>
>> Perhaps submit a patch for -jumbo-6?
>
> Done and posted. I do not agree that we should mute it all the way to
> 0.05% as I prefer a ballpark figure over nothing, but instead of arguing
> I made it a john.conf option :-)

BTW like you say it would be nice to have a full rewrite of the ETA code
(we could in fact actually write eg. "4,000,000 years", that would be
very educational) but that would need more thought and a change in all
modes files (this was just in status.c).

A compromise could be to actually use a much higher precision than 0.01%
behind the scenes, I think that would be an easy fix but there are some
caveats. It's good enough for me as-is so I'm probably done with it.

magnum