Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 07:04:38 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John 1.7.7-jumbo-5

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:14:02PM -0500, JFoug wrote:
> New formats: mskrb5 (magnum), rawMD5unicode (magnum), salted_sha1 (Simon
> ???, this one is nsldaps, but using SSE2i).

This salted_sha1 vs. ssha vs. openssha thing is very confusing.  I think
salted_sha1 needs to be renamed.  Also, salted_sha1_fmt.c lacks a
copyright and license statement.

> SSE intrisics also added to raw-md4, raw-sha1, and raw-md5 (through thin
> format to md5_gen(0)).  Intrinsics also used in other formats (Simon).

Not confirmed regarding raw-md4.

> Fixed REQ_ALIGN crash problems in:  HDAA, MSCHAPv2, NETLM, NETLMv2,
> NETNTLM, NETNTLMv2, NSLDAPS, NSLDAP, OPENLDAPS, mscash, mscashv2, mssql,
> mssql05, oracle, raw-md4   Note, some crash problems existed in Jumbo-1,
> and some were needed due to J1->J5 performance changes, and -utf8 support.
> (JimF)

You're patching rawMD4_fmt.c's get_binary() to have its static output
buffer machine word aligned.  However, I was under impression that no
code in JtR required such alignment of binary()'s output buffer.  Was I
wrong, or has something changed, introducing this requirement?

...Oh, it just occurred to me that fmt_self_test() directly passes
binary()'s return value to binary_hash[]() and cmp_*() functions.  If
it's the only place where we have this requirement, then maybe it should
be patched (to make a copy) instead of complicating all formats?

> Changed NT's asm code (x86_sse.S) to properly work with UTF-8. (Alain
> Espinosa ????)

What's the performance impact for non-UTF-8?  (I'd expect 1% or so.)

> Added new rules for is binary, and reject if (if not) -utf8 used.

What's this?  Is it just about the new rule reject flags (-u and -U) or
something else?

Thanks,

Alexander