Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 08:48:51 -0700
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John 1.7.7-jumbo-5

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 6:19 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> I am fine with this bump.  In fact, I think we need to bump up the line
> length limit even further, such that 4096-bit SSH keys will fit even
> when they're base64- and then hex-encoded.  I think they'd be at around
> 11 KB, so let's set the limit at 16 KiB (0x4000).

Even this large bump cannot solve all the problems of RAR password cracker.
drar (something similar to unssh tool) can currently generate *very
lengthy (megabytes)* lines.

So, for such cases I am forced to rely on my original hack of passing
the filename from drar
and then processing the actual file in drar_fmt.c. The code will look
better this time compared to first patch using this hack :-).

Sounds okay?

> Yes, this double-encoding is weird, and it might be gone eventually.
> As an option, we may make the LINE_BUFFER_SIZE bump to 0x4000 now (in
> -jumbo-5), which will allow for the "plugin" functionality to work for a
> new revision of Dhiru's SSH cracker.

Thanks Solar and magnum. At some point I will get back to working on
ssh patch and will take  care of these issues.

Yesterday, I managed to get "rar -p" mode somewhat working. More on this later.

--
Cheers,
Dhiru