Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 18:03:45 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Big Endian problem (combo utf8 / oracle / mssql)

I take this to the list, I believe we have been lazy and had a little
too much discussions off it.

I agree we should decide that all these functions are working with LE,
document that clearly and do the needed workarounds elsewhere. The code
for the NET*LM* formats was originally in each file plus some in
smbencrypt.c. I moved all such stuff to unicode.c. The original code had
remarks that it was supposed to always return LE regardless of machine
type, as "NT Unicode" is always UTF-16LE.

The Oracle format is special in that its internal format is BE. I
remember those SHIFTL and SHIFTR, I wondered if that would end up right.
As we always get LE from the conversion, and always want BE, the shifts
should be same for any machine, just like you did.

Were all these formats working correctly in john-1.7.6-jumbo-12 on BE
systems? It appears to me they can't have!?

magnum