Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 12:58:56 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Changes to john's unique program.

NOTE,

The code presented has been used by me for quite a while (building and
maintaining wordlists I use).  I made comment about this a few months back,
when Solar listed improving the speed of unique.  However, the addictions
of -cut=num, -cut=LM and -mem are recent changes (only over the last couple
of days).    The -imp=, -ex_file= and -ex_file_only have been used a lot.  I
KNOW they work well.    The -cut=num and -cut=LM should be pretty trivial,
and I think should work just fine.

The -mem= is new.  I know on the mem, it can crash a run, if the -mem size
selected is too large.  The 'assumptions' I have taken on mem, is that
1<<num is the size of the hash table (exactly the same as in params.h), and
that the buffer size is (1<<num)*64 which is the same as in params.h when
num==20.

Jim.