Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 13:14:20 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Plumbing changes   [moved from john-users]

I wonder if this could be done:

Add some code in Makefile (or build a script that is run by a rule in
Makefile), using grep and sed or awk to pull the names of the format
structures, and possibly even the names of the format 'signatures', out of
the *_fmt.c files ?   In this way, there would be few, or no format
structures in john.c (or the options.c), and would be a .h file 'built' by
the maker, similar to how arch.h is made (but MUCH more complex than a
simple cp command).

I know a lot of this type stuff is done by ./configure, but since we do not
have that, this may also be a method of getting this volatile data, and
totally eliminate patch collisions, since no one has to code to these patch
hot spots any more.

Jim.