Date: Sat, 07 May 2011 17:53:28 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: patches to integrate into jumbo

On 2011-05-07 16:51, Solar Designer wrote:
> Please propose what I should integrate into 1.7.7-jumbo-2 (I think Jim
> even wants to prepare a release candidate for jumbo-2, all on his own?)
> and then into -jumbo-3.

Depends on the time between 2 and 3... here is my personal prio order:

1. New md5-gen w/ plumbing changes. This is *the* most important and
will make life easier for everyone.
2. MPI - it's ifdef'ed and ready, it simply can't break stuff unless
enabled.
3. Intrinsics (if/when ready)
4. UTF-8 (I'm currently looking at the few UTF-8 fixes for moving loader
stuff to prepare())
5. All formats currently on wiki (unless they break things)

I can live with *only* getting md5-gen w/ "plumbing" in a Jumbo2 and the
rest in Jumbo3, but it would be a relief for me getting MPI in there and
that code will not change much (if at all) in the future. The MPI code
is completely unaffected by the format changes and stuff. It does merge
with Jim's stuff without a problem.

Then, we can rebase the other patches to Jumbo-2 and pretty quickly come
up with a Jumbo-3 (with us doing more of the work than you). I really
want the UTF-8 stuff into a Jumbo because it includes stuff that others
can use for supporting UTF-8 in the future.

The intrinsics patches are so important for performance that they should
IMO trigger a new Jumbo themselves, whenever they are ready!

Just my €0.02
magnum