Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 18:33:52 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Test suite

>From: JimF Sent: Saturday, May 07, 2011 5:48 PM

clip
>so the things I can see needing work on the test suite are:
>
>1. fill in the missing input files.  This will require building some
Clip

One bug in the tstall (the unix script), is for mscash.  The .BAT file is
right, but the script is not.  The type needs to be forced, for the file
format provided.  Thus, the tstall for this line should have 2 params added
to it (like is in the tstall.bat file).  The end result of that line should
be:

./tstone MSCash_tst.in      '-form=mscash' -form mscash

It is missing the 2 required params:  -form mscash

One other thing I think needs tested, is to test some formats using multiple
'layouts'.  An example where I have done some of this is LM.  For LM, I have
a a file that is 'raw' 32 byte hash.  I also have a pwdump format.  There
also might be $LM$halfhash format.

Likewise, NT would have 3 formats (raw 32 byte, $NT$ and pwdump).  Some of
the others should have multiple. This will check to make sure all code
within the prepare function is working.

It 'may' be enough to put some hashes of each type into a single file.  The
only issue there, is testing to see if auto detection is working (when it
should), and how john handles the first hash found if it is of a different
'flavor'.  But in this testing, we certainly should be putting user name
into proper spot, if needed, etc, etc.

Looks like some more work to think about and do, to get a validation suite
working as well as it really should.  It may be that a new script,
tstalldeep is built, where some of these 'extra' tests are put.

I guess some of this will shake out as people actually start to use the
tool, and find out what it is good at, but also find out where it is
lacking.

Jim.