Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 08:42:26 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: set_salt() using pointer

Solar,

I have seen some formats just copy the pointer fed to set_salt() and
this is now done in mskrb5 and (my versions of) the NET*LM formats,
saving a memcpy(). I also recommended Dhiru to do the same to ssh but
before this gets too far I'd like to get this confirmed: Is this a
"supported" behaviour? I have a vague feeling this could break things
(in the future if not now) unless officially supported and I can't find
it "documented". From what I [think I] know about john's internal
workings I guess it's fine.

There are plenty of other formats that could benefit from this too. For
large salts this can make a significant boost.

Maybe a similar approach could be used in set_key() for formats that
just use the key as-is and have a MAX_KEYS_PER_CRYPT of 1? I have not
seen that in any existing format.

thanks
magnum