Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 05:14:00 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: binary hashes and BINARY_SIZE

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 02:52:03AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> Thanks a lot for that explanation! I just played with this in my
> modified version of NETNTLM and realised this format benefits a lot more
> than just saving memory: It originally performs three independant DES
> operations in crypt_all() resulting in 24 bytes of output. I made it
> just do the first one for partial binaries, and added a crypt_one() that
> does the rest but is only called from cmp_exact.

BF_fmt.c does a similar thing with non-OpenMP builds, although it does
not benefit from that much.  Its cmp_exact() calls BF_std_crypt_exact().

Obviously, with a hash type that was not specifically designed to be
slow, this can make a lot more of a difference, including with OpenMP.

> Not sure I got
> everything 100% right yet but there was obviously a significant
> performance boost:
> I'll polish this a bit and post it later.

Impressive.  Please do share the code (perhaps via the wiki).

Thanks,

Alexander