Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 23:36:59 +0100
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --utf8 option, proof of concept

On 03/10/2011 02:41 AM, I wrote:
> On 03/07/2011 11:02 PM, I wrote:
>> * I can see a need for a new format property flag, FMT_UNICODE, that
>> tells that this format use Unicode internally.
> Maybe to get there we need both flags? MSSQL would have FMT_UNICODE but
> not FMT_UTF8, so John could respond that --utf8 is not yet supported.
> This could also be used for testing, eg. "john -test -utf8" could do
> utf8 benchmarks for all applicable formats.

Here's a diff with just that (to be applied to my utf-8 experiment,
nothing else). I'm pleased with the functonality, for example the "john
-test -utf8" after tweaking unicode stuff.

Note that SAPg has FMT_UTF8 but not FMT_UNICODE.

I still can't crack repeated Euro signs (but everything else I tried,
very weird) in NT or raw-md5 but it works fine in mscash so the
utf8tocws() is not the culprit. When that is nailed I'll post a new
complete (still experimental) patch against Jumbo-12.

magnum

View attachment "fmt_unicode.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (7309 bytes)