Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 02:41:27 +0100
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: --utf8 option, proof of concept

On 03/07/2011 11:02 PM, I wrote:
> * I can see a need for a new format property flag, FMT_UNICODE, that
> tells that this format use Unicode internally.

Actually I think the new format property flag would better be FMT_UTF8,
saying "this format will behave differently if you use the --utf8 flag".
So it would currently be set for NT in the experimental tree, but not
for MSSQL even though the latter do use UTF16 internally.

> In particular, a mode that is not yet supporting --utf8 should bail out if you try.

Maybe to get there we need both flags? MSSQL would have FMT_UNICODE but
not FMT_UTF8, so John could respond that --utf8 is not yet supported.
But if a format does not have FMT_UNICODE (like FreeBSD-MD5), the --utf8
flag is valid, potentially having effect on rules (still, FreeBSD-MD5
should not have FMT_UTF8 set as the format itself does not behave
differently).

This could also be used for testing, eg. "john -test -utf8" could do
utf8 benchmarks for all applicable formats.

magnum