Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 18:15:11 -0600
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: mscash broken for ages?

Before making 'too' many changes, I have some big changes coming up soon. ALL format hacks that are part of loader.c will be moved into the individual formats themselves.  To do this, I created a new 'optional' format method, called prepare().  This function will take the input string, and optionally 'prepare' it.  Mscash was one of the formats that gets addressed.

All of the Net-challenge response, the mscach, NT, LM, and md5-gen are the formats that have a 'prepare'  (off the top of my head).  All others use the 'default', which simply returns the string that was in the 2nd field.

Prepare could easily be done for any non-salted format, which has a 'signature', to get it to work with a 'raw' hash file.  That is one of the things done in the NT format. The other was to handle the pwdump, where the NT hash is the 3rd field, not the 2nd field which is 'normal'.

All of this was HACKS which were in a couple functions in loader.c.  Now, after I get my changes in, loader is clean. Exceptions to this 'clean' are the 'generic' crypt(3) stuff, AND it also is in charge of putting the first field into the 2nd field, IF the line only has one field (i.e. a file of ONLY hashes).  Due to I do not have the CRYPT support, I have not looked at what is required to get that removed, but likely, it simply is putting a prepare() function into crypt(3), and putting the #define stuff there.