Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:27:01 -0700
From: David Hulton <0x31337@...il.com>
To: crypt-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Yuri's Status Report - #3 of 15

Alexander,

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 5:15 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> Ouch.  Does this apply to E-101 and USB specifically, or to your PCIe
> boards as well?

This is just for the E-101, our other boards have really good Linux
support (M-501, etc). Windows was a higher priority for the E-101
because it's more of a board we use for training and most of our
customers do their FPGA development on Windows whereas the PCIe
M-modules are geared more toward the HPC server market so it was a
higher priority for them to run well in Linux..

> Sure, it's possible for Yuri to proceed on Windows now, but this merely
> postpones the problem.  We'll need something that can be deployed in
> authentication servers - both on software side (which means a Unix-like
> OS) and on hardware side (which means PCIe).
>
> I was under impression that E-101 was similar enough to your PCIe boards
> in terms of software interface to it - that is, I thought that you'd
> simply provide different OS drivers and different interfacing cores
> (Verilog code or the like), which would mostly hide the difference from
> us, and Yuri's code developed on E-101 would be easily reused on the
> PCIe boards.  Is this not the case?

Yeah, our APIs are very similar between the E-101 and M modules the
only difference is that the E-101 has much better support for Windows.
If Yuri does his development on Windows it will be easy to port it
over to the M modules on Linux...

> How do you suggest we achieve our goal of getting something usable in
> production by the end of Yuri's GSoC project?

For now I think the best thing is to do PoC in Windows on the E-101 so
he doesn't waste more time on trying to get the Linux code working.
This can be done by just synthesizing code and running/testing using
our PicoUtil software in Windows just to make sure the logic runs on
hardware. In the meantime I can set him up with remote access to a
Linux system here with an M-501 for the final implementation... Does
that work?

-David