Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 02:21:33 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: crypt-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: EskBlowFish with RAM results

Yuri -

On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 01:39:51AM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:40:23AM -0300, Yuri Gonzaga wrote:
> > Number of RAMB16BWERs                                 4             116
>
> This makes more sense, but still I'd expect only 2 of these used.  Why 4?

Oh, perhaps you're using a 16+2 Kbit BlockRAM per S-box in order to have
enough read ports for the four S-box lookups to occur in parallel.  Right?

If so, this wastes half the BlockRAM space, so we'll possibly need to
switch to two 16+2 Kbit BlockRAMs per EksBlowfish core for actual use
(and have less parallelism inside those cores) in order to have more
cores per chip.  Possibly this will provide an overall improvement.
It is worth testing both approaches.

Alexander