Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 21:51:17 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: crypt-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: FPGA types (was: alternative approach)

David,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 01:51:54PM +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
> http://picocomputing.com/m_series.html says "Virtex-6 LX FPGA", "Up to
> six M-501 modules per board".
> http://picocomputing.com/e_series.html says it's "Spartan-6 LX45 FPGA".

I am trying to take the available logic cells into account when I
consider different approaches/designs.  I am looking at this web page:

http://www.1-core.com/library/digital/fpga-logic-cells/

This shows two kinds of logic cells available in different Xilinx FPGAs -
older ones (with two 4-input LUTs per cell) and newer ones (with four
6-input LUTs per cell).  My understanding is that Virtex-6 uses the
latter.  But what about Spartan-6, which will be in Yuri's board?

Also, how many logic cells do these FPGAs have?

As to the BlockRAMs, are they 36 kilobit each (not kilobyte), with two
I/O ports each (thus, usable as 2x18 kbit when only one port is needed)?

How many BlockRAMs do these specific FPGAs have?

(Of course, I could find this out on my own, but I thought it's quicker
to ask, and it's beneficial to have this mentioned in here anyway.)

Thanks,

Alexander