Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 16:23:35 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com, yescrypt@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] yescrypt 1.0.2

Hi,

yescrypt is a password-based key derivation function (KDF) and password
hashing scheme.  It builds upon scrypt, and our implementation is able
to compute native yescrypt hashes as well as classic scrypt.

This is to announce the update of yescrypt to 1.0.2, available here:

http://www.openwall.com/yescrypt/

The following changes have been made between 1.0.1 and 1.0.2:

Don't use MAP_POPULATE anymore because new multi-threaded benchmarks on
RHEL6'ish and RHEL7'ish systems revealed that it sometimes has adverse
effect far in excess of its occasional positive effect.

In the SIMD code, we now reuse the same buffer for BlockMix_pwxform's
input and output in SMix2.  This might slightly improve cache hit rate
and thus performance.

Also in the SIMD code, a compiler memory barrier has been added between
sub-blocks to ensure that none of the writes into what was S2 during
processing of the previous sub-block are postponed until after a read
from S0 or S1 in the inline asm code for the current sub-block.  This
potential problem was never observed so far due to other constraints
that we have, but strictly speaking those constraints were insufficient
to guarantee it couldn't occur.

Alexander