Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 21:16:43 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] BSidesLjubljana talks "yescrypt: large-scale password hashing" and "Haswell metaprogramming"

Hi,

I gave two talks at BSidesLjubljana earlier this month.

The first one of these, and one planned in advance, is "yescrypt:
large-scale password hashing".  Here are the slides, as well as a link
to the conference website, which in turn links to the talk video:

http://www.openwall.com/presentations/BSidesLjubljana2017-Yescrypt-Large-scale-Password-Hashing/

In this talk, I framed the problem of password hash cracking as largely
that of cost amortization, and thus the problem of password hashing as
coming up with affordably costly and amortization-resistant password
hashing schemes.  In this context, I described and provided rationale
for both scrypt's sequential memory-hard hashing and yescrypt's numerous
additions to it.

The second talk, which I originally wasn't planning on giving but was
asked to on the spot, is a lightning talk entitled "Haswell
metaprogramming", now in just 3 slides (originally it was 2 slides I
quickly came up with at the event):

http://www.openwall.com/presentations/BSidesLjubljana2017-Haswell-Metaprogramming/

This describes a maybe-sometimes-useful obscure programming technique
for modern x86-64 CPUs focusing on those built on Intel's Haswell
microarchitecture (and probably applying to Broadwell and Skylake
equally well).

I hope you find some of this useful or at least interesting.  Submitting
to and speaking at BSidesLjubljana was a pleasure.  The organization was
flawless.  Kudos to the organizers!

Alexander