Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 04:56:54 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] Owl-current & 3.0-stable updates; development lists; OpenVZ blog interview

Hi,

This is to announce several things at once:

1. A new snapshot of Owl-current is available on the mirrors.  As usual,
this includes ISOs, OpenVZ container templates, RPMs, and sources.  The
ISOs may be downloaded via direct links from the Owl homepage:

http://www.openwall.com/Owl/

With the OpenSSL update to 1.0.0d included in this snapshot, Owl-current
has finally deviated from Owl 3.0 and RHEL4 binary compatibility (moving
towards RHEL6 binary compatibility).  Besides OpenSSL, we've updated
vsftpd to 2.3.4 (remote DoS vulnerability fix, CVE-2011-0762),
patchutils to 0.3.2, and the Linux kernel to OpenVZ's latest "RHEL5
testing" one (-238.5.1.el5.028stab085.2) with our usual changes.

2. At the same time, we've released the first pre-compiled snapshot of
Owl 3.0-stable.  Compared to the 3.0 release, Owl 3.0-stable 2011/03/12
corrects a VIM packaging error, a vulnerability in the patch(1) program
(CVE-2010-4651), two vulnerabilities in OpenSSL (CVE-2010-4180,
CVE-2009-0590), which were at worst of moderate severity, and it updates
vsftpd to 2.3.4 (CVE-2011-0762 fix) and patchutils to 0.3.2.

The 3.0-stable snapshot is similarly complete (ISOs, vztemplates, RPMs,
sources), with its ISOs linked directly from the Owl homepage.

The announcement I've posted to owl-users includes a little bit more
detail on these updates:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-users/2011/03/13/1

3. We've setup public mailing lists for discussions around development
of Owl (owl-dev) and John the Ripper (john-dev).  Previously, only user
community public mailing lists existed for these projects (owl-users and
john-users, respectively).  The list archives and subscription
instructions may be found via links from:

http://www.openwall.com/lists/

4. I was interviewed for the OpenVZ blog on topics including Owl,
OpenVZ, and more:

http://blog.openvz.org/37305.html

I guess some of you might find some of this curious and/or useful.

Any feedback is welcome.

Alexander