Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 02:33:14 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Owl-current 2006/01/22 ISO; tcb 1.0; pam_mktemp 1.0.2; passwdqc for OpenBSD

Hi,

This is to announce several things at once:

1. There's a new Owl-current ISO-9660 image (dated 2006/01/22) available
for download under /pub/Owl/current/iso on the FTP mirrors:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/DOWNLOAD.shtml

Our new installer will now use the ncurses/CDK-based user interface with
colors by default on terminals which appear to be sufficiently capable.
There are command-line options to both "setup" and "settle" to disable
colors ("-b") or even force the dumb terminal interface ("-d").

Besides the installer, the following other packages have been
significantly updated since the last ISO snapshot (December 8, 2005):
man-pages (including the addition of POSIX man pages), Postfix, John the
Ripper, VIM, libnet, libnids, chkconfig, db4, gcc, man, hdparm,
diffstat, tcb, Linux-PAM, dialog, glibc, bash, Nmap, libutempter, and
strace.

Please refer to the change log for descriptions of these changes:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/CHANGES-current.shtml

This might be the last Owl-current snapshot to be made available before
the Owl 2.0 release.  Please test this extensively and provide your
feedback!

2. The tcb suite implementing our alternative password shadowing scheme
became mature enough for its 1.0 release.  New with this release are
support for OpenPAM (on Linux) and support for the new interfaces
provided by Linux-PAM 0.99.1.0 and above.  Older versions of Linux-PAM
continue to be supported, too.  The homepage for the tcb suite is:

	http://www.openwall.com/tcb/

3. A new version of pam_mktemp (1.0.2), the module to provide per-user
private directories under /tmp, is out.  pam_mktemp can now be compiled
on systems with Linux 2.6.x kernel headers (as well as with older kernel
versions).  pam_mktemp can be downloaded from:

	http://www.openwall.com/pam/

I'd like to thank Dmitry V. Levin for making the above two releases, and
for his work on Owl in general.

4. Damien Miller has developed and contributed a plugin password
strength checker for OpenBSD based on pam_passwdqc.  This plugin is now
linked from the contributed resources list on the pam_passwdqc web page:

	http://www.openwall.com/passwdqc/

5. Openwall Project has been entered into Affero as a supported
beneficiary.  Affero members can now choose Openwall Project among the
causes they want to inspire donations to.  (The Affero supported causes
also include the Free Software Foundation, the Electronic Frontier
Foundation, Amnesty International, and a couple hundred of others.)

For example, it is now possible to comment on my community contributions
and optionally donate to Openwall Project via my personal Affero account:

	http://rate.affero.net/solar

If you would rather support the FSF and the EFF on my behalf, you can do
so here:

	http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=solar&p=FSF_EFF

You're welcome to register for Affero accounts, too.  (Of course, it's
free.)  I think Affero is a great concept, although it might be
non-trivial to grasp at first.  There are some examples of what you can
do with Affero here:

	http://www.affero.net/ndqt.html
	http://www.affero.com/cci.html

The current Hall of Fame - top Authors (who have inspired donations) and
top Patrons (who have donated) - can be seen right on affero.net:

	http://www.affero.net

Oh, and the Affero service has been migrated to Owl as the underlying OS
recently.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598