Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 15:31:38 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com, owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Owl-current moved to glibc 2.3.x

Hi,

As some of you might be aware, the publicly-visible Owl-current had
been frozen for the past two months while we proceeded to break the
system with heavy updates applied to our private CVS.

Well, today I did the final touches and let all the new stuff to the
public, along with certain newly introduced bugs that are yet to be
fixed...  Further updates are to follow.

Basically, the system has been updated to glibc 2.3.x (2.3.2 plus the
patches found in latest Red Hat Linux 9 glibc update, minus NPTL, and
plus all of our modifications indeed).  To do this, we had to update
many other packages as well, including gcc, autoconf, automake,
libtool, and gettext.  And we've updated to RPM 4.2, at the same time
re-introducing the code to convert RPM 3.0.6's db1 databases into
the new db3 format (to enable upgrades from older versions of Owl).
Other packages have been updated as well, providing a consistent set
of core libraries as required by packages from or intended for newer
versions of Red Hat Linux and by other Linux executables.

Please refer to the Owl-current change log for information on the more
important of these changes:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/CHANGES-current.shtml

The new snapshot may be downloaded from the usual locations given at:

	http://www.openwall.com/Owl/DOWNLOAD.shtml

Not all of the FTP mirrors have been updated yet, but most should be
within a day.

Note that there's no updated ISO image yet.  We will generate one once
Owl-current stabilizes a little after this big update.  Yes, as I have
mentioned, some known problems do exist, as well as definitely many
not yet known ones.  Those who want stability are advised to stay with
Owl 1.1-stable until we approach a new release.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598