Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 23:43:40 +0100
From: John Spencer <>
Subject: Re: changing/fixing the tarballs in the butch

will cunningham wrote:
> OK I've got what I need loaded.  A couple pieces of business to close this
> thread out...
> You need to add xorg to the dependencies of qt4, or figure out what subset
> of xorg it need to compile.  Building qt4 right after stage1 and core it
> broke with a message something about an X11 lib, but after I installed xorg

did you make a note about the message? it would save us a lot of time
when we knew which lib it wanted.

> it built fine.  The no cups addition to the pkg file worked.
> I still get tarballs not downloading somewhat randomly, and I've found that
> if it starts to download but doesn't complete, you have to go in
> /src/tarballs and delete the source so it'll start fresh on the download

weird. you can take a look at what the KEEP/butch_download_template.txt does

in general it gets a list of urls from the pkg, and then tries to dl
them with wget --retries=5

so in the case that one of the urls is broken, it would try up to 5
times to download it before switching to the next url. note that
downloads-in-progress are saved to $filename.wip and only after a
successful download renamed to $filename.

in any case: please provide the names of the packages which made trouble.

> and not just try to work with what's there partially.  Also when something
> doesn't build, rebuilding the last lib in the log and then restarting with
> butch rebuild instead of butch install on the unfinished build usually gets
> it done.  Not scientific, but trying several combinations to get apps built
> this has worked for me.

in general stuff that works by magic is not in the spirit of sabotage.
we try to deliver sound solutions that are reproducible.