Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 18:14:29 -0600
From: will cunningham <willpanther@...il.com>
To: sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: changing/fixing the tarballs in the butch

John,

I wiped out and redid the install 10+ times last weekend, and finally was
just trying to get past this stage, so I didn't write down/keep every
problem log.  I'll go back after I'm fully up and try to get this isolated,
or figure out what I was doing wrong/problems with my box/internet whatever.

thanks again for helping me get past this stage,

Will

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM, John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
wrote:

> will cunningham wrote:
>
>> OK I've got what I need loaded.  A couple pieces of business to close this
>> thread out...
>>
>> You need to add xorg to the dependencies of qt4, or figure out what subset
>> of xorg it need to compile.  Building qt4 right after stage1 and core it
>> broke with a message something about an X11 lib, but after I installed
>> xorg
>>

> did you make a note about the message? it would save us a lot of time when
> we knew which lib it wanted.
>
>  it built fine.  The no cups addition to the pkg file worked.
>>
>> I still get tarballs not downloading somewhat randomly, and I've found
>> that
>> if it starts to download but doesn't complete, you have to go in
>> /src/tarballs and delete the source so it'll start fresh on the download
>>

> weird. you can take a look at what the KEEP/butch_download_template.txt
> does
>
> in general it gets a list of urls from the pkg, and then tries to dl them
> with wget --retries=5
>
> so in the case that one of the urls is broken, it would try up to 5 times
> to download it before switching to the next url. note that
> downloads-in-progress are saved to $filename.wip and only after a
> successful download renamed to $filename.
>
> in any case: please provide the names of the packages which made trouble.
>
>  and not just try to work with what's there partially.  Also when something
>> doesn't build, rebuilding the last lib in the log and then restarting with
>> butch rebuild instead of butch install on the unfinished build usually
>> gets
>> it done.  Not scientific, but trying several combinations to get apps
>> built
>> this has worked for me.
>>

> in general stuff that works by magic is not in the spirit of sabotage. we
> try to deliver sound solutions that are reproducible.
>
> --JS

Content of type "text/html" skipped