Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 11:55:56 +0000 (UTC)
From:  mrr2ro <>
Subject:  Re: popa3d that *doesn't* use syslog for logging?

There are 2 ways to do this!  --I am talking SLACKWARE --

recompile popa3d... Before it, RTFInstall instructions-- change the logging
facility on params.h from default to

#define SYSLOG_FACILITY                 LOG_LOCAL0

create an entry for that login facility on your /etc/syslog.conf file.

Restart syslog (slackware = /etc/rc.d/rc.syslog restart)
I have used slackware since early 1990s and taht is all I am talking about here,
do not ask me about any other distros becaue I do not know them.

The other and for sure shortcut is.

Stop syslog (Slackware = /etc/rc.d/rc.syslog stop)

Make the following entry on your /etc/syslog.conf file

#vi /etc/syslog.conf

*.*                      -/var/log/popa3d

Since /var/log/messages is set to capture anything info or higher or lower than
warn, then make sure popa3d is excluded by entering the line.

After the change, your default line on messages should read something like

#Log anything 'info' or higher, but lower than 'warn'.
#Exclude authpriv, cron, mail, and news.  These are logged elsewhere.
          auth.none;mail.none;popa3d.none;news.none    -/var/log/messages

Save the changes

Create the /var/log/popa3d file (slackware = touch /var/log/popa3d)
Make sure the perimission for the file are set correctrly using chown

Restart syslog (slackware = /etc/rc.d/rc.syslog start)

Monitor the activity of your new log file

(slackware = tail –f /var/log/popa3d)

Log to your pop-mail client, check for new messages and see the activity logged
in /var/log/popa3d.