Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 13:14:10 -0500
From: Mr Duck <tld@...eexamples.org>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d that *doesn't* use syslog for logging?

>>I can explain my reasons if requested (for direct file logging)
> Yes, please.

   See below.

> This has been asked for a few times (that's _just_ a few times in
> several years!) and noone has provided a valid reason for this so far.
> Please keep in mind that one of the design goals of popa3d is
> simplicity, and that there're plenty of other POP3 servers out there.
> While logging directly to a file isn't a complicated feature to add,
> the combined complexity of all imaginable simple features like that is
> substantial.

   The bottom line is that popa3d is not my baby, and what I might
consider a reason enough to justify a particular features inclusion
doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

   I fully understand your perspective.

   However, I like to take advantage of daemons that do direct file
logging.  Simply because it makes more sense to me to log everything
into one file, without the need for modifications to the syslog config.
This, of course, is not a difficult thing to do, but I just don't like
messing with "what ain't broke" if I can help it.  By using a command
line switch to direct logging to a particular file, I have the benefits
of:

   * ps shows the CL params in it's output (which tells me to
     where the daemon is logging)
   * syslog.conf doesn't have to be modified (and there is no
     speculation required as to what priority/facility a particular
     daemon is using)
   * no special daemon compilation needs are required (no config
     settings to tweak)

   Though, with popa3d being as simple and easy-to-use as it is, it
is quite easy to know what syslog facility/priority it is using,
because it's spelled out clearly in the header file.   I could
easily change this to a LOCAL and mod my syslog.conf and be done
with it. But, I do prefer direct-to-file methods. It's just my
personal preference.

   Anyway, I'll paraphrase a saying: "The foolish man is he who never asks."