Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:54:24 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OWL installer

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:33:24PM +0000, Krzysztof Sniadoch wrote:
> Here you have some kind of owl-installer that is very useful for me (I
> have used it many times and it works great) and I hope it will be in the
> same way useful for owl-users :-)

Thank you for sharing this with owl-users.

I've looked at this installer a bit.  Basically, it's an extension of
our owl-setup tool, which previously only configured an Owl system but
did not install it.

This is not the way I'd like our official installer to work.  The plan
was to move away from shell and dialog to perhaps C++ and ndk++.
Although not having done that, I agree that it could be reasonable to
add some of this functionality to the existing shell scripts for now.
(No, I do not think we could apply any of your changes directly, --
they're not clean enough.)

> 1. # ifconfig ...
> 2. # route add default gw ...

Could run "setup" to configure networking and a temporary root
password through it instead, then "exit" to boot into multi-user,
login, and proceed with your further steps.

> 4. # links 80.53.183.138/pub/owl-installer.tar.gz

Could use lftpget here.

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar at openwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598