Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:47:55 +0100
From: Krzysztof Sniadoch <krzysiek@...urenet.pl>
To: owl <owl-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: OWL installer

18-02-2005, 07:54 +0300, Solar Designer:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 01:33:24PM +0000, Krzysztof Sniadoch wrote:
> > Here you have some kind of owl-installer that is very useful for me (I
> > have used it many times and it works great) and I hope it will be in the
> > same way useful for owl-users :-)
>
> Thank you for sharing this with owl-users.

No problem :-) There is so much of great work done in OWL (it's
especially visible when we look closer at the whole OWL distribution) so
it's good to make something useful (even if it's temporary ^_^)

> I've looked at this installer a bit.  Basically, it's an extension of
> our owl-setup tool, which previously only configured an Owl system but
> did not install it.

Correct, there was no need to build other primary level configuration
tool when owl-setup doing this job fine. More advanced configuration I
always made after booting newly installed OWL system.

> This is not the way I'd like our official installer to work.  The plan
> was to move away from shell and dialog to perhaps C++ and ndk++.
I hope that the plan IS not WAS :-))

> Although not having done that, I agree that it could be reasonable to
> add some of this functionality to the existing shell scripts for now.

And that is my point :-) I just wanted to add some features to the
existing scripts to make it more easy and faster to install than it is
now (although I don't think that official method is wrong or slow). It's
very useful when doing many OWL installations at various stations it can
really save time (especially when we add this into the current OWL-iso
and burn on the CD ^_^).
All in all, I consider owl-installer as the temporary solution which
should be replaced, but for now it is a handy stuff which can speed up
our installation :) and can be extremly useful for less experienced
users.

> (No, I do not think we could apply any of your changes directly, --
> they're not clean enough.)

I understand, but I didn't ask for this :-) I just wanted to share this
soft with owl-users for the time when the new Owl release will be
released :-)

> > 1. # ifconfig ...
> > 2. # route add default gw ...
>
> Could run "setup" to configure networking and a temporary root
> password through it instead, then "exit" to boot into multi-user,
> login, and proceed with your further steps.

True, this is also correct way

> > 4. # links 80.53.183.138/pub/owl-installer.tar.gz
>
> Could use lftpget here.

The same here :)

--
Krzysztof Sniadoch <krzysiek@...urenet.pl>