Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:17:13 +0000
From: Jim Breton <jamesb-lists@...ngtheway.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: postfix content filter

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 12:36:11PM +0600, Dmitriy Litovchin wrote:

> But, I have runned into a problem - postfix mail daemon build that is
> included in OWL is lacking one major thing for me - support for
> content_filter - and that's really bugging me. Could you please tell
> me if by any chance in some future you will migrate to more recent
> build of postfix supporting this ?
>
> I think, this feature is quite important for those who have mail-virus
> problems at their location - at least, that's quite a problem for me.

Hi Dmitriy,

even without using the content_filter feature you can usually do the same
thing through one of a few other means.

For example, you could define a "transport" which passes the mail through
procmail; procmail then pipes the mail through your content filter
application, e.g., spamassassin (preferably using 'spamc' of course).

That is how I do it (I used to use the content_filter, though (on another
OS)).

Another way I've heard about but have not tried myself, would be to use
the mailbox_command setting to give the mail to procmail; then as above,
procmail pipes the mail through SA (or whatever).

Note that the above methods wouldn't allow you to reject the mail based on
the result of the content filter application though.  If you want to
bounce mails based on the result, then maybe you do need content_filter.

HTH || rm $0