Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:25:23 +0600
From: Dmitriy Litovchin <dali@....ru>
To: Jim Breton <owl-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re[2]: postfix content filter

>> But, I have runned into a problem - postfix mail daemon build that is
>> included in OWL is lacking one major thing for me - support for
>> content_filter - and that's really bugging me. Could you please tell
>> me if by any chance in some future you will migrate to more recent
>> build of postfix supporting this ?

JB> even without using the content_filter feature you can usually do the same
JB> thing through one of a few other means.

JB> For example, you could define a "transport" which passes the mail through
JB> procmail; procmail then pipes the mail through your content filter
JB> application, e.g., spamassassin (preferably using 'spamc' of course).

JB> That is how I do it (I used to use the content_filter, though (on another
JB> OS)).

JB> Another way I've heard about but have not tried myself, would be to use
JB> the mailbox_command setting to give the mail to procmail; then as above,
JB> procmail pipes the mail through SA (or whatever).

JB> Note that the above methods wouldn't allow you to reject the mail based on
JB> the result of the content filter application though.  If you want to
JB> bounce mails based on the result, then maybe you do need content_filter.

Thanks, Jim ! I did not expect follow-up that quick ;-)

The methods you advised are quite good, but for filtering incoming
mail. My trouble is - I want to filter all mail that goes through smtp
- incoming (even that not stores localy) and outgoing.
I used "avcheck" for that (see http://www.corpit.ru/ftp/avcheck/README.Postfix)
If someone can advise on a different method I would be grateful and
quite happy without "content_filter" ;-)))

Best regards,
  Dmitriy Litovchin (LT137-RIPE)
  NTP VTI Ltd, a Business Technics Group company
  Omsk, Russia
phone (3812) 23-33-77, 23-52-77, 23-17-03
fax   (3812) 24-43-11
e-mail: dali@....ru