Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 20:21:44 +0400
From: Vasily Kulikov <segoon@...nwall.com>
To: owl-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: m4 build errors

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 20:04 +0400, (GalaxyMaster) wrote:
> Just wanted to share with you my observation.  I didn't build Owl from
> sources for quite some time, but during the recent build I've
> encountered the following issue when I was building the m4 package:
> ===
> checking whether <wchar.h> uses 'inline' correctly... no
> configure: error: <wchar.h> cannot be used with this compiler (gcc -std=gnu99 -pipe -march=na
> tive -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -Wall ).
> This is a known interoperability problem of glibc <= 2.5 with gcc >= 4.3 in
> C99 mode. You have four options:
>   - Add the flag -fgnu89-inline to CC and reconfigure, or
>   - Fix your include files, using parts of
>     <http://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commitdiff;h=b037a293a48718af30d706c2e18c929d0e
> 69a621>, or
>   - Use a gcc version older than 4.3, or
>   - Don't use the flags -std=c99 or -std=gnu99.
> Configuration aborted.

Do you have gcc 3.4.5?  Owl-current has 4.6.3.  This might be the
problem.  Some updates were done with this update in mind without old
gcc compatibility.

Acutally, Owl-current _might_ be non-rebuildable now: I made several
changes and updates for glibc 2.16 and probably not committed all of
them yet.  glibc 2.16 should become a compilable-for-sure milestone.

Thanks,

--
Vasily