Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:45:58 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
CC: Tim Brown <tmb@...35.com>, Mark Stanislav <mark.stanislav@...il.com>,
        "Adam D. Barratt" <adam@...m-barratt.org.uk>
Subject: Re: CVE Requests

On 03/16/2012 12:37 PM, Tim Brown wrote:
> On Friday 16 Mar 2012 16:11:04 Mark Stanislav wrote:
>> All points being made are very much valid and I certainly
>> understand how contextually oss-sec may be used to allocation
>> requests under different circumstances.
>>
>> So here's my situation, I'm up for suggestions (of which, "wait
>> longer", is perfectly viable!)...
>>
>> 1) March 1st, I sent 2 of these CVEs over to Steve Christy at
>> MITRE who had previously allocated 9 prior CVEs in a day or two
>> generally 2) March 8th, after not hearing back from Steve, I
>> contacted cve@...redirectly with all 5 3) March 15th, after not
>> hearing back from MITRE, I contacted Kurt off list as I've noted
>> his helpfulness doing allocations 3a) Kurt pointed me to email
>> the list, rather than him directly (which is perfectly fine, but
>> perhaps not the context I was aiming for initially)
>
> Josh Bressers (Josh, correct me if I'm using your name in vain)
> used to be quite happy to assign CVEs for undisclosed (embargoed)
> F/OSS issues providing details were forthcoming with the request.
> If Josh is no longer able to fulfil that role due to a change of
> circumstance at Redhat it would be nice if someone stepped into the
> breach -  be that Redhat, Debian or one of the other CNAs.  There
> is definately a place for "disclosed to project, being/been fixed,
>  not public - can I have a CVE?" without deferring to the distros
> list or MITRE - most of the time projects can respond in a timely
> fashion, so a minimum effort approach is ideal.

You may have uh noticed me assigning 200+ cve's in the last few
months. I took over for Josh. I am unwilling to public assign CVE's
that are likely to end up with duplicates (e.g. no information CVE's
already sent in as a request to Mitre).

I am quite happy to assign "secret" or whatever you want to call them
CVE's (I do it all the time on linux-distros list for embargoed
issues) but I'm also trying to avoid duplicates and other messes. If
the issue is so secret you can't even give me a version #, brief
description, etc. than chances are Mitre needs to handle it.

I'm asking for pretty basic info like version #'s affected and ideally
fixed if you got it. This doesn't need to be complicated.

Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)