Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:38:46 -0600
From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried@...hat.com>
To: Mark Stanislav <mark.stanislav@...il.com>
CC: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Subject: Re: CVE Requests

On 03/16/2012 12:30 PM, Mark Stanislav wrote:

> Is "VS@" supposed to be vendor-sec; the defunct list? Or is there
> another list I am not aware of? If so, can you please give me the *full*
> address? Thanks.

> I'd say you may want to coordinate that documentation with Steve Christy
> as the nine times he allocated CVEs for me directly, this sort of
> conversation never came up. I can understand frustration on your part
> that people may not be educated, but realize that if CNAs handle this
> process differently, it may not be a matter of education on how 'the
> system works' but rather consistency within the entire process, agnostic
> of whom is allocating a CVE.

We're working on it.

> I again, do appreciate your time but I suppose I'll just wait for Steve
> or whomever is manning cve@...re to contact me back.

I'm simply loathe to assign CVE's for which I get no details from a
third party especially when they have sent requests in to Mitre already.
How do I know if Mitre has or has not assigned a CVE yet? We basically
end up with a race condition (and duplicates).

--
Kurt Seifried Red Hat Security Response Team (SRT)