Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 19:57:20 +0000
From: Tim Brown <tmb@...35.com>
To: oss-security@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: CVE Requests

On Friday 16 Mar 2012 19:45:58 Kurt Seifried wrote:

> You may have uh noticed me assigning 200+ cve's in the last few
> months. I took over for Josh. I am unwilling to public assign CVE's
> that are likely to end up with duplicates (e.g. no information CVE's
> already sent in as a request to Mitre).
>
> I am quite happy to assign "secret" or whatever you want to call them
> CVE's (I do it all the time on linux-distros list for embargoed
> issues) but I'm also trying to avoid duplicates and other messes. If
> the issue is so secret you can't even give me a version #, brief
> description, etc. than chances are Mitre needs to handle it.
>
> I'm asking for pretty basic info like version #'s affected and ideally
> fixed if you got it. This doesn't need to be complicated.

Thanks for the clarification.  Josh has in the past been very useful with
OpenVAS and KDE bugs in particular where there is a security team who can take
up most of the slack and handle the co-ordination process.  Hopefully we won't
notice any changeover when we deal with you.

Totally agree about the information aspect FWIW, never had a problem sharing
in the past - it's just a matter of minimising the friction when disclosing.

Cheers,
Tim

PS I suspect I'll be in touch sooner rather than later about CVEs, got a
handful that are almost ready for disclosure.
--
Tim Brown
<mailto:tmb@...35.com>

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)