Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 15:51:01 +0200
From: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
CC: ivan.kanak@...il.com
Subject: Re: musl 0.9.14 released

On 09/24/2013 08:18 AM, Rich Felker wrote:

> I'll continue working on the documentation too, in hopes of including
> a presentable version in the next release tarball so it can get some
> public review before 1.0. At this point my leaning is to hold off on
> any other functional changes aside from bug fixes before 1.0; there
> were a few items on the Roadmap as secondary targets which would have
> been nice, but they're not critical and stabilizing for 1.0 is more
> important.

sounds like a good plan.
especially the stateful iconv feature could lead to undesired and hard
to detect breakage.

> Sometime soon I also want to focus on what the development and release
> model post-1.0 will be, especially whether we'll aim to maintain a
> 'stable' branch with minimal new features alongside new development.

having a stable branch which only gets backports of bugfixes makes sense
if we aim for inclusion in conservative distributions.
if nothing else, it signals that we care about stability.
otoh it's much more work to maintain...

thinking about stability, it also seems necessary to strengthen musl's
web infrastructure. we should at least have links to download mirrors
like http://foss.aueb.gr/mirrors/linux/musl-libc/ (not up-to-date, it
seems, thus adding ivan to CC) or automatically updated git mirrors like
ftp://ftp.barfooze.de/pub/mirror/musl-libc.org/index.html
, http://repo.or.cz/w/musl.git or https://github.com/jhuntwork/musl