Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 02:18:49 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: musl 0.9.14 released

Hi,

Earlier today I posted the release of musl 0.9.14:

    The result of major bug-hunting. Fixes a regression in
    installation of the dynamic linker symlink when DESTDIR is used,
    rare deadlock in libc-internal locking, incorrect dynamic linker
    fallback to built-in search paths in certain error cases, popen
    failures when the caller has closed stdin or stdout, deadlock and
    memory-corruption issues in multi-threaded set*id and setrlimit
    operations, and multiple low-impact bugs in math functions and
    other components.

    http://www.etalabs.net/musl/releases/musl-0.9.14.tar.gz

This release was a little later than I would have preferred; I had
hoped to release it last weekend, but held off for a bit while we
tracked down some additional bugs and potential-bugs. This has put the
roadmap for 1.0 a little bit behind, but the bright side is that we
found and fixed a lot of bugs, including some that had been elusive
for a long time.

I still think we should have one more release, 0.9.15, before calling
this 1.0. My intent is to continue the bug-hunting, based on an
approach of:

- Writing and running more test.
- Source level analysis (grepping, static analysis, etc.).
- Tracking down application build failures and any mysterious runtime
  problems in applications.

I'll continue working on the documentation too, in hopes of including
a presentable version in the next release tarball so it can get some
public review before 1.0. At this point my leaning is to hold off on
any other functional changes aside from bug fixes before 1.0; there
were a few items on the Roadmap as secondary targets which would have
been nice, but they're not critical and stabilizing for 1.0 is more
important.

Sometime soon I also want to focus on what the development and release
model post-1.0 will be, especially whether we'll aim to maintain a
'stable' branch with minimal new features alongside new development.