Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 15:52:31 -0500
From: "Gustavo A. R. Silva" <gustavo@...eddedor.com>
To: Thomas Garnier <thgarnie@...gle.com>
Cc: Kernel Hardening <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: I want to help out

Hi Thomas,

On 08/07/2017 10:31 AM, Thomas Garnier wrote:
> Hey Gustavo, welcome!

Thanks!

> That's a lot of changes, thanks for sharing.

I'm glad to help. :)

> You can take a look at this page [1] to get an idea on things to do.
> You can also look at the difference patches coming and going on the
> mailing list to see if anything interest you.
>
> Anything in particular you wanted to prototype?

I'm interested in mitigation efforts towards control flow infection, as
function pointer poisoning for both .init_array (I know there is some
ongoing work here) and .fini_array.

 From the TODO list I think the following tasks are interesting:

* Split thread_info off of kernel stack.
* Move kernel stack to vmap area.
* Implement kernel relocation and KASLR for ARM

If there is already some work in progress and there are some small tasks
pending to be completed, I'd like to help.

I might need someone to point me out to the work already in place and,
after reading some code and asking some questions I might be able to
take it from there.

I have to say that by no means I'm an expert in any of those areas, but
I'm willing to learn and become a long term contributor.

Recently, I've been using Coccinelle to constify structures, and fixing
a variety of Coverity issues (API usage errors, NULL pointer
dereferences, control flow and code maintainability issues, etc..). I'm
also using Coccinelle to identify lock/unlock issues.

Thank you!
--
Gustavo A. R. Silva