Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 14:42:23 -0700
From: Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
To: "Gustavo A. R. Silva" <gustavo@...eddedor.com>
Cc: Thomas Garnier <thgarnie@...gle.com>,
	Kernel Hardening <kernel-hardening@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: I want to help out

Welcome to the list!

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Gustavo A. R. Silva
<gustavo@...eddedor.com> wrote:
> On 08/07/2017 10:31 AM, Thomas Garnier wrote:
>> You can take a look at this page [1] to get an idea on things to do.
>> You can also look at the difference patches coming and going on the
>> mailing list to see if anything interest you.
>>
>> Anything in particular you wanted to prototype?
>>

> I'm interested in mitigation efforts towards control flow infection, as
> function pointer poisoning for both .init_array (I know there is some
> ongoing work here) and .fini_array.

I'd be curious to hear more about this work.

> From the TODO list I think the following tasks are interesting:
>
> * Split thread_info off of kernel stack.
> * Move kernel stack to vmap area.
> * Implement kernel relocation and KASLR for ARM

All three of these are needed on 32-bit arm. The last is a tricky one,
since kernel relocation is needed before KASLR can happen on ARM.

> If there is already some work in progress and there are some small tasks
> pending to be completed, I'd like to help.

More testing on arm64 VMAP_STACK would be great, if you have hardware available.

> Recently, I've been using Coccinelle to constify structures, and fixing a
> variety of Coverity issues (API usage errors, NULL pointer dereferences,
> control flow and code maintainability issues, etc..). I'm also using
> Coccinelle to identify lock/unlock issues.

This is good work to be getting done too!

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Pixel Security